This is a clone of the bread for Schlotsky's sandwich bread. It also makes wonderful toast. Schlotsky's is a chain delicatessen. I'm not sure where all their locations are but they are popular in Texas. See the recipe for the muffalata filling that is outstanding on this sandwich.
- Stir water, sugar and yeast together and set aside.
- Dissolve baking soda in 1/2 tablespoon warm water in medium bowl.
- Add warm milk, salt and 1 cup flour; beat till smooth.
- Beat in yeast mixture and remaining flour (batter will be thick and sticky, but not as thick as normal bread batter).
- Spray two pie pans with cooking spray and dust with cornmeal.
- Divide dough and place in pie pans, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and bake for 20 minutes till golden.
- Cool 1 hour and cut in fourths.