Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a clone of the bread for Schlotsky's sandwich bread. It also makes wonderful toast. Schlotsky's is a chain delicatessen. I'm not sure where all their locations are but they are popular in Texas. See the recipe for the muffalata filling that is outstanding on this sandwich.
- Stir water, sugar and yeast together and set aside.
- Dissolve baking soda in 1/2 tablespoon warm water in medium bowl.
- Add warm milk, salt and 1 cup flour; beat till smooth.
- Beat in yeast mixture and remaining flour (batter will be thick and sticky, but not as thick as normal bread batter).
- Spray two pie pans with cooking spray and dust with cornmeal.
- Divide dough and place in pie pans, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and bake for 20 minutes till golden.
- Cool 1 hour and cut in fourths.
My Gosh, Girl, this bread is so neat! It's really fast to mix up, bake up, cool, slice, and enjoy! Served it with Karen Monahan's Sausage and Rigatoni's and Wow, what a feast! Thanks for posting one of my new favorites! Laudee C.
This is not only the easiest bread I've ever made, but it is also one of the tastiest. You would never guess it is soooooooo low fat. I make mine using 1/2% milk, so that cuts down on the fat content.DELICIOUS!
This bread is amazing! Tastes very close to Schlotzsky's. I even added chopped jalapenos and grated cheddar in step #4 pressed it lighty in the pie pans and it is to die for, so hard to stop at a slice or two. Great recipe!!!!