Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Austrian recipe from a friend of my grandmothers. Kind of like a bread pudding.
Make and share this Scheiterhaufen recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Toast the bread slices. Divide toast slices into two piles, one pile enough to cover the bottom of a pie pan and the other to be used later.
- With the pie pan toast pile, dip one side of each slice of toast into the melted butter and then layer the bottom of the pie pan. Any remaining butter, pour over the bread slices in the pan.
- With the other pile of toast, shred into small pieces and mix with the apples, raisins, nuts, sugar, cinnamon, rum and chopped lemon peel. Arrange mixture loosely in the pie dish.
- Whisk the milk with the eggs and vanilla and pour over the mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot, sprinkled with sugar.
This lay somewher in the deep recesses of my memory, when I was a child. My mother made something like this. It is a wonderful recipe and a combination of bread pudding apple pie french toast. Who could ask for more? Thanks for sharing. Made for "More than Sauerkraut and Dumplings".