Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is sensational! There is really nothing to compare it to, a delicious vegetarian treat.
- 1 cup raw Bulgar wheat
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups minced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1 lb textured vegetable protein, steamed or reconstituted with just enough hot water so it is fluffy,not soggy
- 1 -2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 1⁄2-2 jars of paul newman marinara sauce or 1 1⁄2-2 jars homemade marinara sauce (I don't know why, but I just love that sauce in this recipe - I don't usually buy sauce)
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Place bulgar in small bowl, pour boiling water in, stir and cover.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Steam the TVP until fluffy, not soggy.
- Stir everything together, and pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- (Add enough marinara sauce so everything is well coated but not runny) Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.
I decided to try this because I was searching for a way to get my family to eat TVP. This worked fairly well. I was a little frustrated with the fact that there are no clear instructions for how to steam TVP (so people like me who have no clue about it don't have much to go on), but it worked out in the end. It tastes pretty good. My bet was that, with so many strong flavors, the TVP would blend in and I was right. This ends up being pretty expensive to make with the feta, the cheese, and the 2 jar of spaghetti sauce (though it does make a ton!). I don't think we'll make it again because of the expense and the fact that we only "liked it" (as opposed to loving it). That said, it is reasonably healthy and tasty. Thanks so much for submitting this one!