Recipe by Sharon123
I got this from Moosewood Cookbook and boy is it good! My husband liked it with lots of hot sauce. Good vegetarian meal! My whole family loved it.
Top Review by wendywendy
This casserole is so delicious, and easy to prepare. I used 2 cans of soybeans, drained and rinsed, and the "coarse batter" was runnier than I expected but it firmed up with everything else added. Also used my food processor to mince the onions and garlic. I probably halved the amount of onion and didn't use any tomato paste, as I didn't have any, and I used a red pepper as I like the flavor of red over green peppers. I halved the amount of feta--just used an 8 ounce chunk and put 3/4 into the casserole and sprinkled the rest on top. I just love the flavors and texture of this--it is wonderful!
- 1 cup raw bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups minced onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (feel free to use more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- black pepper
- cayenne, to taste
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 3⁄4 cup dried soybeans, soaked (I used canned pintos)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (1/2 of a small can)
- 1⁄2 cup packed finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Lightly oil a 9x13" baking pan.
- Place bulgur in a small bowl.
- Add boiling water, cover with a plate, and let stand at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Add onion, garlic, salt and seasonings.
- Stir occasionally as you saute over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and saute about 5 minutes.
- Drain soybeans, and place them in blender with 1 cup fresh water.
- Grind until soybeans resemble a coarse batter.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- (you can just grind the canned beans) Add soaked bulgur and sauteed vegs.
- to the soybeans.
- Stir in tomatoes, breaking into bitesized pieces.
- Add tomato paste, parsley and 1 cup of the feta.
- Mix well.
- Spread into the baking pan and sprinkle remaining feta on top.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- at 375*, then uncover and bake 15 minutes.
- more at 350*.
- Serve hot.