Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I have made this recipe a few times and my hubby can't get enough of it. Another name for this soup is Schav. Don't worry about using a whole bulb of garlic, the flavour mellows as it cooks. This soup is served cold. A dollop of sour cream in this really adds as well. You can double this recipe. If you want you can also add some stinging nettle to the soup, it adds another depth of flavour.
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 large yellow onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 whole bulb of garlic (remove cloves and lightly crushed with a knife, then peel)
- 1 medium potato (diced large)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric (or saffron threads)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt (course)
- 2 ounces sorrel (leaves-ribs removed and torn up in 1/2 inch piece)
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice (or lime)
- vegan sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 4 cups soup broth and 4 cups water in a large pot. Add in the chopped onion, garlic, cubed potato, turmeric, bay leaf, red pepper flakes and salt.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. With a hand immersion blender puree everything together in the pot.
- Bring back up to boil and add the sorrel leaves. Cook for about 3 more minutes. Stir in the citrus juice. Refrigerate for a few hours until chilled.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- This soup is good with crusty bread.
- Bon Appetit.