Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Something like the Australian Pavlova, this beautiful, gluten-free dessert comes from the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups superfine sugar, sifted (caster sugar or bar sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream or ice cream
- Preheat oven to 275F, spray a 9" springform pan with cooking spray (Pam) and lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Beat egg whites until they hold a peak; beat in 6 tablespoons sugar, adding about 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Add vinegar and vanilla.
- Fold in remaining sugar and salt.
- Pour 2/3 of the mixture into prepared springform pan; drop remainder from a teaspoon onto parchment paper to form small "kisses" arranged in a ring the same size as the springform pan.
- Bake for an hour; let stand until cold.
- Remove from pan carefully and fill with whipped cream and berries or ice cream.
- Place ring of "kisses" on top.