Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very light, flourless cake.
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- unsweetened fresh strawberries or raspberries
- sweetened whipped cream
- Butter a 9-inch spring form pan, and place into a warm oven to evenly coat entire surface; cool (can be refrigerated to cool down).
- Beat room temperature eggs and salt for 15 minutes using high speed of mixer, or until very stiff.
- Gradually add sugar and when all is added, beat at high speed for another 15 minutes, or until mixture retains its shape.
- Add vanilla, vinegar, and baking powder.
- Mix well, and pour into spring form.
- Bake 1 hour at 250 degrees F.
- When the cake has cooled, slice off the crusty top and put unsweetened fruit (strawberries or raspberries) along with sweetened whipped cream and replace crust as carefully as you can.
This was relatively easy (I don't own a standing mixer, only a hand-mixer) and tasty. The first time I made it, I tried to use carton egg whites. Don't bother, they don't peak... at all. I brought one to work and the second to a dinner party and both were consumed quickly. It was bit sweet for me, I'll try it with less sugar next time.