Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Take a trip to India tonight! Adapted from Looneyspoons: Low-Fat Food Made Fun, this flavorful Vegan dish serves 4-6 as a one-pot meal or 6-8 as a side dish.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 709.77 ml sliced mushrooms
- 354.88 ml chopped carrots
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth (can use chicken broth for non-vegan version)
- 236.59 ml uncooked long grain white rice
- 236.59 ml dried red lentils, soaked in water overnight and rinsed
- 14.79 ml grated gingerroot
- 7.39 ml ground coriander
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground turmeric
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 170.09 g packagefresh Baby Spinach
- 118.29 ml chopped green onion
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and carrots. Cook for five minutes, stirring often, until vegetables are softened.
- Add broth, rice, lentils, ginger root, coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach and green onions. Cover and simmer for 3-4 more minutes, or until rice and lentils are tender. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Very good and simple. Added onion with the garlic and used barley instead of rice. Just increased the water a little. Thanks
This.Was.Awesome. I made this with green lentils and both my baby and my husband loved this dish. I also ran out of ground cumin so I substituted garam masala and it rocked. Thank for this great recipe.
Very nice combination of flavors. The only change that we will make is next time we'll saute onions with the garlic, mushrooms, and carrots. We'll also soak the lentils for at least 4-6 hours before using them as they were still a little crunchy. Very tasty dish overall! Thanks!!!