Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was originally from www.nigella.com and was adapted.
Make and share this Scd Gluten Free Chili Con Carne Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups almond meal
- 100 g butter, chilled and cubed
- 90 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons ice water, iced, may only need 1 tbsp
- 3⁄4 cup red kidney beans, cooked, yields about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 750 g minced beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 125 ml dry red wine
- 425 g tomatoes, crushed
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 170 g natural yoghurt
- Preheat oven 200C (400F).
- Rub butter into almond meal. Add cheese.
- Add 1 tbsp water and stop if dough comes together, otherwise add a second tbsp of water. Mold into a ball and cover in the fridge until needed.
- Fry onion until softened, add garlic, spices and herbs, cook for 2 minutes. Add mince beef and stir until browned.
- Add tomato paste and wine and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato and mustard, once it has come to the boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the cooked kidney beans. Season.
- Transfer to casserole dish.
- Roll pastry out between two sheets of waxed paper and place on top of dish. Use knife to make vent holes.
- Reduce heat to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4 and cook until top is golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Use foil to cover the top if it seems to be browning up too fast.
- Serve with a dolllop of yogurt on top.