Recipe by Sc4r1ett
I couldn't believe how easy and gorgeous this was when I first made it! Serve it with jacket potatoes or mash or even crusty bread.
Top Review by luvcook'n
This is just wonderful! I didn't have any celery, so left it out. I used 2 chicken legs/thighs,lemon juice, pancetta and regular onions, fresh thyme, chicken stock and a little water, along with the rest of the ingredients. Then I baked it covered for 1 hour. The first words out of DH mouth was "It's a keeper! Lots of flavour and simple easy ingredients. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 roasting chicken (or breasts or thighs or joints)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 200 g shallots or 200 g onions, in chunky slices
- 125 g pancetta or 125 g smoked bacon, strips
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash dry white wine or 1 dash cider vinegar or 1 dash lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with
- 1 sprig herbs or 1 sprig dried herbs
- 150 g mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- cut the chicken into pieces, heat oil in pan and fry off on each side (oil should be very hot so chicken browns but doesn't cook through).
- Remove chicken pour off oil add butter, fry off onions for a couple of mins until brown,.
- turn down heat add bacon and celery.
- add wine/cider/lemon juice and garlic.
- stir in cornflour and herbs.
- mix in chicken, pour stock half way up casserole.
- Place sliced mushrooms on top and bake in oven for 1hr.