Recipe by Hill Family
So much work but oh so good. Just the right amount of lemon flavor and with the topping ... fantastic.
Top Review by Diana #2
Oh My Goodness!!!! These are absolutely wonderful. I can't believe they don't have more reviews. I cut the recipe down to 6 muffins. They were light and tart. But.......even better, if that's possible, the next morning. Thanks so much for sharing. UPDATE Aug 18/08: Added lemon zest to the glaze...so pretty. I'm very pleased to say that I won Second Place in the 'Robin Hood' category. These muffins truly are amazing. Thanks again Hill Family!
- 6 cups pastry flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 lemons, fresh
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- To make muffins: Sift flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Grate the rind of 5 lemons; set the juice aside.
- Whisk eggs; add sour cream, melted butter, and lemon juice; whisk until smooth.
- Fold in the lemon rind.
- Fold flour mixture and sugar into the egg mixture.
- Blend well.
- To make streusel:.
- Sift sugar and flour together.
- Add softened butter, work into dry ingredients until smooth; set aside.
- To make glaze: Stir sugar and lemon juice together until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Spray muffin tins.
- Fill with lemon muffin batter.
- Top each muffin with streusel.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18-20 minutes.
- Poke muffins with a toothpick to make sure they are done.
- Drizzle top with lemon glaze.
- Remove from muffin tin and store in airtight container.
- Note: Batter can be kept in fridge for up to 1 week.