1/13 Photos of Scarborough Fair - Savoury Bacon, Onion and Herb Bread Pudding
1 hr 50 mins
French Tart's Note:
I named this dish after my home town, Scarborough, in the North of England - and yes, they really do have a "Scarborough Fayre" every year! And, this recipe does contain "parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme"! This is a very old recipe for savoury bread pudding - often served before the meal, just as Yorkshire Pudding used to be, to take the edge of your appetite & stop you eating too much meat! I added the bacon, but normally it is just made with pounded stale bread mixed with herbs, chives or onions, eggs and any dripping that was available. A delicious savoury dish - serve it with lashings of onion gravy as a light supper, brunch or lunch dish, or as an appetiser, also with gravy. This makes a wonderful accompaniment to roast pork and roast chicken. I have also been known to eat slices of this cold & it's ideal for picnics. Don't throw your crusts away, but process them in a food mixer and freeze them in zip-lock bags.....voila, ready made bread crumbs!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g whole meal bread, crusts removed
- 300 ml hot vegetable stock or 300 ml ham stock
- 4 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 200 g smoked lardons or 200 g smoked bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3 ounces shredded vegetable suet or 3 ounces melted butter
- black pepper
- 1Pre-heat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
- 2Grease a large baking dish or tray about 12" by 8" in size.
- 3Tear the bread into small pieces and pour the hot stock over the bread - mix well and allow to soak for about 1 hour.
- 4Meanwhile, cook the bacon over a medium to high heat; as soon as the fat starts to run, add the chopped onions. Stirring the bacon and onions constantly, cook them together for about 15-20 minutes, or until the onions are soft and the bacon is crisp.
- 5Add the bacon and onion mixture to the soaked bread and mix well.
- 6Add the rest of the ingredients - continue to mix them together thoroughly.
- 7Pour the bread pudding into the greased dish or tray, level the mixture out with a spoon and bake for 40 to 50 minutes until well risen, firm to the touch and golden brown.
- 8Take out of the oven and allow to "rest" for 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
- 9Serves 4 people as a light supper or lunch dish with gravy and 6 people as an appetiser, also with gravy if you wish.
- 10Also great for picnics, brunch or breakfast.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scarborough Fair - Savoury Bacon, Onion and Herb Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3371.7
- Calories from Fat 3128
- Total Fat 347.6 g
- Saturated Fat 87.1 g
- Cholesterol 139.5 mg
- Sodium 531.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 19.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: