Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Vary this soup by adding 4 cinnamon sticks and 6 whole cloves for a hint of spice...or...try 1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger for a gentle heat. Chill time of 4 hours.
- 2 lbs rhubarb, stalks cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- vanilla gelato (to garnish) or whipped cream (to garnish) or vanilla yogurt (to garnish)
- 6 strawberries, cored and quartered for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan bring rhubarb, water and sugar to a bowl over medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer until rhubarb breaks down, about 15 minutes. Press any large chunks of rhubarb against the side of the pan to break them up. Add salt and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Pour into a large stainless steel bowl and let cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until soup is cold and flavors have combined, at least 4 hours.
- Stir soup to blend. Ladle into chilled bowls, garnish with a small scoop of gelato, a dollop of whipped cream or yogurt plus strawberries, if using. Serve.