Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Light airy pudding that resembles Bavarian creme. Also adapted form Scandinavian website.
- 2 (3 ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups light cream or 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons rum or 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped (whipping cream)
- Soften the gelatin in the cold water.
- In a large metal bowl, beat the egg yolks, gradually adding the sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the cream (or milk) until blended.
- Place the bowl holding the egg mixture over a pan of boiling water and cook, whisking, until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the gelatin-water mixture, stirring until blended.
- Set the bowl over ice water or refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy but not set, about 15 to 25 minutes.
- Add the rum flavoring.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites and whipped cream into the partially set pudding.
- Turn into a serving bowl and chill for 3 to 4 hours, or overnight, until set.
- Serves 12.