Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Rombudding, Rumminpuuro, Romgrot, Romfromage Not to be confused with Rommegrot, a sour cream pudding served at Norwegian wedding celebrations, this recipe results in a light and fluffy rum pudding similar to a Bavarian cream.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups light cream or 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons rum or 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped (whipping cream)
- Soften the gelatin in the cold water. In a large metal bowl, beat the egg yolks, gradually adding the sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Whisk in the cream (or milk) until blended.
- Place the bowl holding the egg mixture over a pan of boiling water and cook, whisking, until smooth and slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and add the gelatin-water mixture, stirring until blended. Set the bowl over ice water or refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy but not set, about 15 to 25 minutes. Add the rum flavoring.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg whites and whipped cream into the partially set pudding. Turn into a serving bowl and chill for 3 to 4 hours, or overnight, until set. Serves 12.
- Scandinavian Feasts.