Recipe by JackieOhNo!
Rhubarb is popular in Norway, used in cooking and eaten raw with sugar. This is a variant of a basic Norwegian recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1-2 tablespoons for rhubarb
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter, plus more for cake pan
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large stalk rhubarb
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Slice rhubarb stalks into bite-sized pieces and sprinkle them with 1-2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and spices.
- In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs with 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy. Add almond extract, melted butter, and milk and stir until well mixed. Stir in flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into cake pan and scatter the rhubarb pieces over the top. Optional: sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.