Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2006, this is almost souffle like in it's lightness but won't collapse on your way to the table with it. It's not fancy but it IS delicious...kind of Scandinavian comfort food.
- 6 medium potatoes, pared and chunked (about 2 pounds)
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs, seperated
- Heat one inch salted water to boiling; add potatoes; heat to boiling again; reduce heat, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes; drain.
- Mash potatoes until no lumps remain; beat in half and half slowly; stir in cheese, salt, nutmeg, pepper and egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into potato mixture; pour into ungreased 1 1/2 quart baking dish or souffle dish.
- Cook uncovered in 375 degree oven until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
Admittedly, I didn't manage to mash all of the lumps out of the potatoes (maybe I'm just a little lazy), but the potatoes still came out fluffy. This is really tasty, and the leftovers are good, too. Thanks!
this is really good .dee
What a wonderful way to make mashed potatoes more special!! I made this exactly to the recipe and when it came out of the oven it was spectacular...the potatoes had risen a good two inches!!! They did fall a bit when they hit the cool air but tasted terrific!! Thanks for a recipe I will use a lot.