Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
Swedish chef Marcus Samuelsson fondly remembers baking these cookies with his grandmother. And at his New York restaurant Aquavit, the deliciously chewy, spicy treats have been handed out as Christmas gifts. Adapted from Mom's Secret Recipe File, edited by Chris Styler. Recipe found in the Toronto Star web site.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 100 g candied citron peel, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- icing sugar (optional)
- 1Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- 2Toast ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves in small skillet on medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- 3Sift flour, toasted spices, baking soda, salt and pepper into medium bowl.
- 4In large bowl, cream butter and sugars until fluffy, 2 minutes using electric mixer on medium speed.
- 5Beat in eggs one at a time, blending well.
- 6Beat in molasses scraping bowl as needed.
- 7On low speed, beat in flour mixture until moistened and clumped.
- 8Stir in citron.
- 9Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough and dollop onto prepared sheets, spaced at least 3 inches apart. (For tidier cookies, briefly toss each dollop in lightly greased hands to form an uneven round and return to sheets.).
- 10Bake on racks just above and below centre of preheated 350F oven until tops look dry, about 10 minutes, switching pans on racks at halftime. Remove from oven.
- 11Sit pans on cooling racks for 2 minutes.
- 12Gently transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
- 13Repeat with remaining dough.
- 14Arrange cookies on serving platter and dust with icing sugar (if desired).
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scandinavian Ginger Citron Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 78.2
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 11.2 mg
- Sodium 106.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied citron peel