Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 mins
Swedish chef Marcus Samuelsson fondly remembers baking these cookies with his grandmother. And at his New York restaurant Aquavit, the deliciously chewy, spicy treats have been handed out as Christmas gifts. Adapted from Mom's Secret Recipe File, edited by Chris Styler. Recipe found in the Toronto Star web site.
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 100 g candied citron peel, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- icing sugar (optional)
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Toast ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves in small skillet on medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Sift flour, toasted spices, baking soda, salt and pepper into medium bowl.
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugars until fluffy, 2 minutes using electric mixer on medium speed.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, blending well.
- Beat in molasses scraping bowl as needed.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture until moistened and clumped.
- Stir in citron.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough and dollop onto prepared sheets, spaced at least 3 inches apart. (For tidier cookies, briefly toss each dollop in lightly greased hands to form an uneven round and return to sheets.).
- Bake on racks just above and below centre of preheated 350F oven until tops look dry, about 10 minutes, switching pans on racks at halftime. Remove from oven.
- Sit pans on cooling racks for 2 minutes.
- Gently transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Arrange cookies on serving platter and dust with icing sugar (if desired).
Yum is all I can say! These a re fabulous, Christmas has come early LOL I used gluten free all purpose flour and reduced the sugar because I don't like it really sweet, and they turned out wonderful. For the molasses I used sugar beet molasses, so good! I will make them again for sure. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for ZWT 9 / Scandinavia for The Apron String Travelers