Recipe by Barb G.
A delicious fruit bread, Great for toast. Recipe comes from Recipegoldmine.com. Time does not include time for rising.
Top Review by KCShell
Barb, another great recipe of yours! I wanted you to know that this does not taste anything like my grandmother's julekage, IT TASTES BETTER!!!! It is so incredibly soft and full of flavor. I cheated and used my breadmaker, adding the citron and raisins as per my breadmaker instructions (after the beep) It makes the best toast too! Going to make a second loaf today. This will go in my Best of Zaar So Far cookbook. PS. Photo shows bread without glaze--it is a lot prettier with glaze. Maybe I can do another photo before the bread is gone! KCShell
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warn water (105 to 115 degrees)
- 3⁄4 cup lukewarm milk (scaled, then cooled)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup cut-up citron or 1⁄3 cup mixed candied fruit
- 3 1⁄4-3 1⁄2 cups flour
- butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixer bowl.
- Add milk, sugar, salt, cardamom, egg, shortening, raisins, citron and 2 cups flour.
- Beat on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Punch dough down; shape into round loaf.
- Place in greased 9 inch-round pan.
- Brush top lightly with butter; let rise until about double, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, bake until loaf is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Brush with butter.
- Make glaze by mixing powdered sugar and water until smooth and the desired consistency.
- Spread glaze on top.
- Cool on wire rack.