Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I often cook this for either Christmas Day (for a change from turkey etc) or for Boxing Day. We love it with creamed potatoes (Scandinavian style, but I'm sure Lyonnaise potatoes would go really well) and red cabbage (not the pickled sort).
- 1 (6 -8 lb) fresh ham (bone removed)
- 20 pitted prunes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, chopped (skin removed)
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 10 1⁄2 ounces beef consomme
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup port wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 325F / 160°C.
- Cut a deep pocket in the cavity of the ham.
- Combine prunes, onion, apple and applesauce.
- Stuff ham with apple mixture, overlap and secure ends.
- Score the fat and place fat side up in a shallow roasting pan.
- Pour consomme over the ham.
- Roast for 30 - 35mins per pound, basting often.
- When cooked transfer to a dish and keep warm, retain the juices.
- Remove the fat from the pan juices and discard.
- Bring the juices to a boil on the hob and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add redcurrant jelly, orange juice, port and salt and simmer for 10 -15 minutes.
- Serve the gravy with the ham.