1 hr 45 mins
tornadoes three's Note:
This dish offers an taste explosion! It is a traditional Christmas treat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup cut-up citron or 1/3 cup mixed candied fruit
- 3 1/4-3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixer bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, cardamom, egg, shortening, raisins, citron and 2 cups of the flour.
- 2Beat on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds.
- 3Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- 5Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- 6Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- 7Punch dough down; shape into round loaf. Place in greased 9-inch round layer pan. Brush top lightly with butter; let rise until double, about 45 minutes.
- 8Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake until loaf is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Brush with butter. Spread with Glaze. Cool on wire rack.
- 101 cup confectioners' sugar.
- 111 to 2 tablespoons water.
- 12Mix confectioners' sugar and water until smooth and of desired consistency.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scandinavian Christmas Fruit Bread (Julekage) Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.2
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 60.1 mg
- Sodium 249.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: