Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This dish offers an taste explosion! It is a traditional Christmas treat.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 3⁄4 cup lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup cut-up citron or 1⁄3 cup mixed candied fruit
- 3 1⁄4-3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixer bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, cardamom, egg, shortening, raisins, citron and 2 cups of the flour.
- Beat on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Punch dough down; shape into round loaf. Place in greased 9-inch round layer pan. Brush top lightly with butter; let rise until double, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake until loaf is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Brush with butter. Spread with Glaze. Cool on wire rack.
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water.
- Mix confectioners' sugar and water until smooth and of desired consistency.