Recipe by HeatherFeather
Posted by request, this is an adaptation from a recipe found "Scandinavian Cooking" by Beryl Frank. Use leftover bread to make crumbs for this recipe by grinding the bread in a food processor.
Top Review by MizzNezz
This is a good cake! A nice change from the ordinary. It's a little like a coffee cake and a little like an apple pudding, and a little like a pie!! I followed the recipe exactly. I put it in bowls while it was still warm and put vanilla ice-cream on top. We loved it! Thanks Heather!!
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups applesauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Combine breads crumbs, sugar, and cinnamon- add to the butter in the pan and stir until mixed and golden brown.
- Divide this mixture into three parts- placing the first portion into a greased deep dish pie plate.
- Pour 1 cup of the applesauce on top to cover.
- Continue with another layer of crumbs, then another layer of applesauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining portion of bread crumbs on top of the last applesauce layer and dot with 2 Tbsp butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temp before serving.