Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
From my mothers unending box of old faded recipes
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond essence
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3 -4 teaspoons milk
- 2 -4 drops almond essence
- In a large bowl stir together flour,baking powder & salt.
- In another bowl beat sugar & butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add almond essence and egg then beat well.
- Add flour mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into four. Form each into a 10' roll. Place 2 rolls 4" apart on a lined baking tray and flatten gently until 3" wide (approx).
- Repeat with other two rolls then bruch rolls with milk and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 160C for 12-14 minutes. While still warm cut into 1" wide strips on an angle. Put aside to cool.
- To make icing mix together the icing sugar, milk and essence until glossy and smooth.
- Drizzle icing over the almond bars and store in an airtight container.