Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A contest winning recipe from Taste of Home by Melva Baumer. She knows how to bake! Yummy!
Make and share this Scandianvian Almond Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 -2 tablespoon 2% low-fat milk
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into fourths; form into 12-in. x 3-in. rectangles. Place 5 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with milk; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until firm to the touch and edges are lightly browned. Cool on pans for 5 minutes, then cut diagonally into 1-in. slices. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over bars.
I cut the recipe in half and made enough little cookies to last me for about a month tucked in the freezer. Of course I had to sample and keep some handy for a bit. Delicious! for my sample I had 3 (I started with 2) cookies with a glass of almond milk and was in nut heaven. They are tender but nowhere near falling apart. Great flavor and certainly nice enough looking for that cookie tray that we make every year. :D