Open faced "Scandinavian style" burgers - a change of pace from a plain, old hamburger! A tribute to Ballard (a Seattle area neighborhood) and Scandinavian folks everywhere. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons instant bouillon granules (or cubes)
- 1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, mustard, caraway seed, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- 2Mix well and form into 6 equal-sized patties.
- 3Place the bread crumbs in a shallow dish and coat the patties evenly.
- 4In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and cook the patties for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until the juices run clear and no pink remains.
- 5Remove to a platter and cover to keep warm.
- 6Dissolve the bullion in the hot water.
- 7Place the liquid, mushrooms, and dried onion in the skillet and simmer over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to soften.
- 8Gradually sprinkle in the flour while whisking, simmering until sauce reduces and thickens.
- 9(Use more flour as thickener, as needed.) Salt and pepper to taste.
- 10Place patties on toast, and spoon sauce over the patties to make an open-faced hot sandwich.
- 11Serve immediately with veggies (mashed turnips, cabbage, etc).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scandi-Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (1864 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.8
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 122.5 mg
- Sodium 581.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 36.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant bouillon granules