Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Everyday Italian
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed, plus
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) canschopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- In large pot,heat 1/4 cup olive oil. When almost smoking, add onion, carrot and 1 clove smashed garlic and saute until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the canned tomotes, and their juice, clam juice & white wine. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes,uncovered. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Carefully pour tomato mixture in the bowl of a food processor and puree. Add a couple of tablespoons of water if needed - you want to end up with a broth. Check for seasoning.
- Return broth to the pot. Add 1 cup of water and 2 tablespoons extra-virgen olive oil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the 2 cups of couscous. Cover pot and remove from heat. Let rest for 10 minutes, allowing the couscous to absorb all theliquid. Fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, add the remiaing 1/4 cup oil and the 2 cloves of minced garlic. Heat the oil, making sure not to burn the garlic. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp and stirring occasionally, cood the shrimp until they start to turn pink, about 5 minuts. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp or they will become tough. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice, red pepper and chopped parsely. Check for seasoning.
- To serve, mound the couscous in the center of a platter and top with the shrimp.