Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Matsuhisa in Beverly Hills is as famous for its cooked Japanese fish dishes as it is for its stellar sushi. This scallop dish is a perfect example.
- 6 fresh asparagus spears, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 1 teaspoon hon dashi
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 10 sea scallops
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Note: Japanese bonito-type soup stock granules; sold at Asian markets.
- Cook asparagus in medium saucepan of boiling salted water 1 minute.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and garlic; saute until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion; stir 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce, sake, hon-dashi and cayenne; simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over high heat.
- Season scallops with salt and pepper.
- Add scallops to skillet and saute until almost cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Add asparagus and toss until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Add sauce and simmer 1 minute.
- Divide between 2 plates and serve.