Recipe by Normaone
I love scallops! Serve these as a nice first course or a light main dish. The cook time does not take into account that some things can be done simultaneously.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 large leeks, white and pale green parts,thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups dry white vermouth
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bay scallops
- 1⁄2 cup butter, chilled,cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add leeks and 2 tablespoons water.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until leeks are tender, stirring now and then.
- Season and set aside.
- Can be made a day in advance.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large saucepan, boil vermouth, shallots, lemon juice,and thyme 25 minutes, or until reduced to 1 cup.
- Strain sauce and set aside.
- Season scallops.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute scallops about 3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Keep warm.
- In a skillet over medium heat, rewarm the leek mixture, stirring now and then.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, gradually add the 1/2 c butter a piece or two at a time, whisking until melted.
- Remove from heat and season.
- Spoon leek mixture onto plates.
- Spoon warm scallops onto leeks.
- Drizzle sauce over scallops and sprinkle with chopped tomatoes.