Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The scallops are seared before they are poached over hot water. The secret of this recipe is the making of the scallops with a few further ingredients to complement the flavour of the scallops. A wonderful and easy to make chinese appetizer.
- 6 scallops
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 piece fresh ginger (about 1.5 inches long)
- 1 green onion
- white pepper
- For the dipping mix soya sauce and sherry in a bowl.
- Sprinkle scallops with a little pepper.
- Divide the green onion in white and green part. Cut both in very fine stripes. Cut ginger in very fine stripes.
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat. The oil should be very hot (near the smoke point).
- Put scallops into the pan an sear for about 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Put scallops (seared side up) into the dipping and drizzle some dipping on top. Sprinkle ginger and the white part of the green onion over them.
- Place a steamer basket in a suited pot and fill in just enough water, that it will not reach the steamer basket. Bring water to a boil.
- Place scallops with onions and ginger on little pieces of parchment paper and put onto the steamer basket. Cover pot with lid and steam scallops for 5 minutes.
- Take scallops out of the steamer and serve hot with onions and ginger on top and the dipping sauce. Sprinkle with stripes of green onions (green part).
I really like this recipe. I love scallops. I made it twice and, of course, it came out better the second time. Definitely not for picky eaters like my sister. I suggest making extra sauce for dipping and making even more scallops because 6 is just not enough. I put some jarred ginger paste that I had in my fridge in the extra dipping sauce and it was a nice compliment. I suggest serving with some hot ginger tea. It is amazing.
These were AMA-ZING!!! Let me start by saying I never used to like ginger, and I had never had ginger in a prep like this before, and I love the kick it had. The scallops turned out beautifully. Perfect cooking times. I had always had my scallops seared in a pan only, I like the moistness the steaming added to it, and the way the steaming cooked the scallion and the ginger. And the dipping sauce was fantastic. I didn't do this as an appetizer, I made them for a meal for myself. And what a treat I had. Thanks Thorsten for posting this simple and fantastic little recipe.
This is so wonderful. The ginger and other flavors are just amazing. I havn't had scallops in so long, this was a real treat.