Prep 2 mins
Cook 18 mins
It's from Mark Bittman from the New York Times circa 1990's. Twenty minutes, tops. From Lizzy to me! She used dried basil- it's all she had.
- put 4 tablespoons of the butter in skillet over med-high heat;
- when foam subsides, add scallops; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brown on both sides, adjusting heat so they brown nicely; they don't need to cook through. Remove them to a plate.
- Turn off heat, cool pan a bit and wipe out. Add remaining butter over med. heat. When it melts, add shallots, garlic, red chili flakes and a little more salt and pepper. Cook about 2 min, or until shallots soften.
- Add wine, raise heat a bit, a let bubble away for a minute or so until reduced by about half; add cream and repeat.
- When liquid is thick, return scallops and juices to pan.
- Cook for about a minute, stirring in half of the basil, until scallops are just firm.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, transfer to small bowls or plates with a bit of sauce, and garnish with remaining basil.