Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
For a sophisticated seafood appetizer try this scallop recipe, a tasty combination of flavours and textures.
- 8 fresh scallops, cleaned and halved across
- 8 tinned water chestnuts, halved
- 8 slices bacon, halved
- salad leaves
- chopped chives, to garnish
For the saffron butter
- 4 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch powdered saffron
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon anchovy essence (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Wrap each piece of bacon around a scallop half and water chestnut half, and skewer them, allowing 4 bacon-wrapped portions per stick.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the scallops for 3-4 minutes, turning over once.
- Meanwhile, make the saffron butter. In a small, heavy-based frying pan heat together the butter, lemon, vinegar, saffron and white wine. Mix in the anchovy essence and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Divide the salad leaves among 4 serving plates and top each plate with a freshly cooked skewer of scallops. Drizzle the saffron butter over the scallops, sprinkle with chives and serve at once.