Prep 40 mins
Cook 18 mins
the best recipe for this classic dish EVER --
Make and share this Scallops in White Wine [coquilles Saint Jacques] recipe from Food.com.
- 354.88 ml dry white wine
- 1 bouquet garni (recipe below)
- 907.18 g bay scallops, washed and drained
- 2.46 ml salt
- 226.79 g fresh mushrooms
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml water
- 14.79 ml parsley, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- 59.14 ml kerry irish gold sweet butter
- 59.14 ml flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 59.14 ml heavy cream
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 44.37 ml kerry irish gold sweet butter
- for bouquet garni
- 14.79 ml dried parsley
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried rosemary
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove
- Bring to a boil 1-1/2 cups dry white wine [pinot grigio is good] with a bouquet garni. Add 2 lbs. scallops and 1/2 tsp salt [or to taste] and simmer the scallops for 3 minutes, or until they are tender. Drain the scallops, reserving the broth and discarding the bouquet garni. And cut the scallops into fine pieces.
- Clean and chop 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms. Put them i n a saucepan with the chopped shallots [or small onion] and 2 T. each of butter and water, 1 T. of the finely chopped parsley and 1 t. lemon juice. Cover the pan and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes. Strain it and add to the wine broth.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in the saucepan and add 1/4 cup flour and stir the roux until it is well-blended. Add gradually the combined hot broths.
- Correct the seasonings adn stir in the finely chopped scallops, shallots and mushrooms.
- Fill scallop shells or ramekins [or au gratin dish] with the mixture, piling high in the center. Sprinkle with bread crumbs [or Panko] and dot with butter. Brown in ia hot oven of 400 degrees or under the broiler.
- Can be served with french bread, rice or TINKYADA organic brown rice pasta noodles.