Recipe by love4culinary
This is a fabulous recipe I love to serve to guests, but is also a nice surprise for the family. The saffron sauce is out of this world!
- 12 sea scallops, prepared for cooking (removing muscle)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into sticks
- sea salt
- 1⁄2 lb fresh string bean, cut in 1 inch length
- 1⁄4 lb fresh green peas, shelled
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- white pepper
- 2 shallots, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 small head red leaf lettuce
- parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with sea salt, and add string beans, cooking until crisp, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove beans with a slotted spoon, put in a strainer run under cold water.
- Add peas to the boiling water and cook in the same way you cooked the beans.
- Now heat 3 Tablespoons of butter in a frying pan over medium heat and cook carrot sticks for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the turnip sticks and cook until both are crisp and tender, approximately 5-8 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir your beans and peas into the carrot/turnip mixture, then cover and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees F.
- Now you want to prepare the sauce.
- First heat a bit of water in a saucepan, turn on low heat and set aside to use as a warmer for your sauce.
- Then combine shallots, white wine and vinegar in another small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until all liquid has evaporated.
- Whisk in the cream, lower the heat and simmer to reduce the cream by half.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in your 12 tablespoons of softened unsalted butter a little at a time.
- Season with salt and pepper and then stir in the saffron.
- Place your saucepan over the hot water you set aside in another pan, to keep your sauce warm.
- Next you want to season the sliced scallops with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the scallops on top of the mixed vegetables and bake until the scallops are just opaque, approximately 4 minutes.
- To serve, arrange a crown of lettuce on a serving platter.
- Then make a mound of vegetables in the center of the platter and arrange the scallops on top.
- Spoon the sauce over and garnish with fresh parsley.