1 hr 20 mins
This is a fabulous recipe I love to serve to guests, but is also a nice surprise for the family. The saffron sauce is out of this world!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 sea scallops, prepared for cooking (removing muscle)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into sticks
- sea salt
- 1/2 lb fresh string bean, cut in 1 inch length
- 1/4 lb fresh green peas, shelled
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- white pepper
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil with sea salt, and add string beans, cooking until crisp, approximately 10 minutes.
- 2Remove beans with a slotted spoon, put in a strainer run under cold water.
- 3Add peas to the boiling water and cook in the same way you cooked the beans.
- 4Now heat 3 Tablespoons of butter in a frying pan over medium heat and cook carrot sticks for 5-7 minutes.
- 5Add the turnip sticks and cook until both are crisp and tender, approximately 5-8 more minutes.
- 6Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Remove the pan from the heat.
- 8Stir your beans and peas into the carrot/turnip mixture, then cover and set aside.
- 9Preheat your oven to 475 degrees F.
- 10Now you want to prepare the sauce.
- 11First heat a bit of water in a saucepan, turn on low heat and set aside to use as a warmer for your sauce.
- 12Then combine shallots, white wine and vinegar in another small saucepan.
- 13Cook over medium heat until all liquid has evaporated.
- 14Whisk in the cream, lower the heat and simmer to reduce the cream by half.
- 15Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in your 12 tablespoons of softened unsalted butter a little at a time.
- 16Season with salt and pepper and then stir in the saffron.
- 17Place your saucepan over the hot water you set aside in another pan, to keep your sauce warm.
- 18Next you want to season the sliced scallops with salt and pepper.
- 19Arrange the scallops on top of the mixed vegetables and bake until the scallops are just opaque, approximately 4 minutes.
- 20To serve, arrange a crown of lettuce on a serving platter.
- 21Then make a mound of vegetables in the center of the platter and arrange the scallops on top.
- 22Spoon the sauce over and garnish with fresh parsley.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scallops in Saffron Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.3
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 126.9 mg
- Sodium 134.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar