Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sea scallops baked in a creamy wine sauce. Rich and decadent, but oh so good !!! Perfect for a special occasion. Don't overcook the scallops !!! Adapted from The Fisherman's Wharf Cookbook in San Francisco.
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces dry white wine
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 ounces sherry wine
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- salt, to taste
- cayenne, pinch
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Saute the scallops in 3 tablespoons butter until golden brown. Add the dry white wine, stirring well. Then transfer the scallops to a buttered casserole.
- Saute the mushroooms and onion in 2 tablespoons butter for 7 minutes.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in another saucepan and add the flour, blending well. Then add the Sherry and cook gently for a few minutes. Next slowly add the milk and cream (mixed), stirring constantly until well blended. Season with salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- When the sauce has thickened, remove from heat, and stir in the beaten egg yolk.
- Pour the sauce over the scallops in the casserole and top with bread crumbs, and dot with butter.
- Bake the casserole in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until the top is browned.