Recipe by SassySheff
Fra Diavolo...the "sauce of the devil". I find spicey sauces work really well with shellfish, this sauce is sure put a little fire in your bite and maybe even a little fire elsewhere!! Enjoy!
Top Review by Michelle Minicucci
I have to give this sauce 5-stars, since I can't seem to stop making it! My grocer had bay scallops on sale, and this sauce was great with them! I carmelized the onions a bit, and sauteed the scallops. Then served the pasta and sauce on top of the scallops. You are right, who needs the noodles! I ate it plain. YUM!
- 4 -5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 8 ounces tomatoes, diced (can use canned or fresh)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white wine (something Dry)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs scallops
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped, to taste)
- salt & pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with 7 cloves garlic and shallots over medium heat.
- DO NOT BURN THE GARLIC -- If you do, Start Again.
- When the garlic starts to sizzle, pour in the tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Season with salt and red pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, add the white wine and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the Basil at the 15 minute mark!
- Meanwhile -- have a glass of wine and continune on --
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat.
- Add the scallops, and 1 clove of garlic. Season with Salt & pepper.
- Cook for about 4 minutes. 2 minutes per side should be good. You want the Scallop to still have a spring to it when you press on it. Try not to over cook the suckers -- It will ruin your meal. A nice pearly white and a spring to it is an Excellently Cook Scallop
- Add the perfectly cooked Scallops to the tomato mixture, and stir in the parsley.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the sauce just begins to bubble.
- You can serve this sauce over pasta, rice or just eat it plain it's just that good.