Recipe by frozenmargarita
One of my favorites
Top Review by dz in Packerland
WOW! This was a great recipe. I served it for my husband and some friends for New Year's Eve and everyone was impressed. I followed the recipe and didn't feel the need to add any extra liquid. Thanks frozenmargarita for a super recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh sea scallops
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaf
- flour, for dusting
- 3⁄4 cup sherry wine or 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated gruyere
Directions See How It's Made
- Season scallops with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and basil. Dust scallops with flour. Saute in a pan that has been lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray and a small amount of olive oil. Cook scallops on both sides until browned. Remove scallops from pan.
- To the drippings in the pan, add sherry, shallots, and mushrooms; cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons flour. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. Pour shallots, mushrooms, and liquid from scallops into flour mixture. Mix well. Stir scallops into sauce. (If too thick, you can thin with clam juice or fish or chicken stock.)
- Transfer to 4 individual baking dishes, top with cheese, and broil for 1 minute, until browned. Serve with wild rice.