Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
By Rachael Ray and so easy! do NOT let the long ingredient list scare you, this is so easy and SO good! This also includes the recipe for Basil Garlic Bread served with this dish. If you want to impress or you love someone, make this SIMPLE recipe.
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 12 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 -2 dash hot sauce
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves chopped
- 3 -4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 baguette, split and halved
- 20 large sea scallops, trimmed of any connective tissue and patted dry
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, cracked from skin
- 1 lb triple washed spinach, stems removed
- Place oven rack at center of oven and preheat broiler.
- Heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a small pot over medium heat and add the shallots and mushrooms, cook 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and flour to softened shallots and mushrooms and cook 1 minute then whisk in wine, reduce 30 seconds, add stock and bring to a bubble.
- Stir in cream and heat through.
- Season sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper and a couple dashes hot sauce, then reduce heat to low.
- While the sauce is working, cover cookie sheet with foil and place prosciutto on the sheet and crisp up 2 minutes on each side under the broiler. It will continue to crisp as it cools.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 6 tablespoons butter, garlic, thyme and basil. Spread over baguette and place under broiler until toasty.
- Switch oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a skillet or cast iron pan over high heat.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper and dress with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.
- Sear the scallops to caramelize 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side then cover them with sauce, bread crumbs and parsley and finish in oven about 6 to 7 minutes until brown and bubbly.
- While scallops cook, heat remaining 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat with crushed garlic, cook 1 minute and remove.
- Add spinach and wilt into skillet.
- Season greens with salt and pepper.
- Serve scallops with wilted spinach alongside and top with broken pieces of crispy prosciutto and toasted bread.