Recipe by crispychick
Just made this recipe last night from the December issue of Cooking Light. It was really delicious and satisfying and hard to believe it was light!! Other than substituting the green bell pepper for yellow bell pepper and doctoring it up with a little hot sauce, I followed the recipe to a tee. I think shrimp would be good in this, too. (oh, it did take a little more butter than it called for!)(I did use a cast iron skillet rather than a nonstick to get a good sear on the scallops)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add scallops and cook 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove from pan, and keep warm.
- Add onion and bell pepper to pan and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine chicken broth, half and half, sour cream, flour, salt, paprika, pepper and nutmeg in a medium bowl and stir to combine with a whisk.
- Add broth mixture to pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 5 minutes or until thick; stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, stir in scallops, sherry, and pimientos.
- Place the toasted halves on a foil lined cookie sheet and evenly distribute the scallop mixture amongst the 8 halves.
- Top each one with the breadcrumbs and the parmesan cheese.
- Broil about 5 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.