Recipe by internetnut
I found this in The Market Basket Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Guide. It came from New York State WIC Program Farmers Market Nutrition Program. I have not tried this recipe, but I'm posting it for safe keeping.
- 3 cups vegetables, cooked
- 2 cups medium white sauce
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Medium White Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups low-fat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cooked vegetables and prepared white sauce in casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
- Medium White Sauce:
- Melt butter or margarine over low heat. Add flour and pepper. Stir until well blended. Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in milk and return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth.
- Cheese Sauce:
- Follow direction to prepare medium white sauce.
- When sauce is thick add 1 1/2 cups grated cheese. Can be served over steamed vegetables.