Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Use fresh tomatoes, rather than canned for this most comforting hot vegetable side dish. From Sarah Leah Chase's Cold-Weather Cooking.
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 cups French bread (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 16 plum tomatoes (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F/180°C.
- Heat bacon fat in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bread cubes and stir to coat evenly. Saute until lightly browned all over, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and sugar to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, tben stir in the basil and remove from heat.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with the parmesan and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy!
I wasn't real sure what to expect from this recipe, but what I got was an outstanding and delicious side dish for my fettucine alfredo! This was very easy to put together and uses ingredients I normally have on hand. Like the other reviewer I didn't have any bacon grease, but I just fried up a few pieces of bacon while I was cubing the bread, chopping tomatoes and mincing the garlic. After removing the bacon I just dumped all of it in the hot grease and proceeded with the recipe. I did use the sugar and loved the contrast of sweet with the flavor of the basil! I halved this recipe as I was only serving 2 of us and we didn't have even a crumb left! It took about 20-25 minutes to cook. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe Culinary Queen!
very easy recipe that came together very nicely. i really had to rush making this but the end result was still great. followed recipe with the exception of leaving out the sugar (i forgot) and i had no time to make bacon fat so i sauteed the bread cubes with strips of bacon. I would suggest using finely shaved parm cheese as i used large grated and it didnt melt well. Excellent taste and delicious.