Use fresh tomatoes, rather than canned for this most comforting hot vegetable side dish. From Sarah Leah Chase's Cold-Weather Cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180°C.
- Heat bacon fat in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bread cubes and stir to coat evenly. Saute until lightly browned all over, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and sugar to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, tben stir in the basil and remove from heat.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with the parmesan and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy!