1/3 Photos of Scalloped Tomatoes (Barefoot Contessa)
FANTASTIC! A great side dish for just about any meal. Save this recipe for when your tomatoes in the garden are ripe and luscious! (or if you have a Farmer's Market, get them from there). First made this in 2009, and have used large cherry tomatoes instead of plum tomatoes and they were great too...good tomatoes for this are a MUST! I have also added about 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese along with the 1 cup of parmesan on the top for a real cheesy treat! Any rustic bread will do, but make sure you cut it in the 1/2 inch dice. Also, use fresh Parmesan cheese, it really makes a difference. It's VERY important to get it into the oven as soon as possible, else it may end up a bit soggy. This is adapted from Barefoot Contessa; Episode Farm Stand Food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (good quality)
- 2 cups bread (a good crusty Sour Dough)
- 16 plum tomatoes, cut 1/2-inch dice (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, julienned, lightly packed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large (12 inch) saute pan over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and stir to coat with the oil. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the cubes are evenly browned.
- 3Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. When the bread cubes are done, add the tomato mixture and continue to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- 4Off the heat, stir in the basil.
- 5Pour the tomato mixture into a shallow (6 to 8 cup) baking dish.
- 6Sprinkle evenly with the Parmesan cheese and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 7Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is browned and the tomatoes are bubbly. Serve hot or warm.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scalloped Tomatoes (Barefoot Contessa)
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.8
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 1382.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 14.0 g