Recipe by Barb G.
This recipe comes from the Favorite Recipes of a drill team from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It is a Czech Recipe, 1963. The recipe is one of many in our collection of cook books. The recipe originally called for 1 pound or 1 quart of tomatoes. Makes a good side dish.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Delicious & comforting side dish! This was easy to throw together - and looked great when I pulled it out of the oven. This is a very homey type of dish - perfect for a chilly night. The taste was very flavorful, despite a limited number of seasonings. Quite tasty, thanks!
- 4 slices toast
- 2 cans tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheese (your preference)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degree.
- Cut 3 slices of toast into cubes.
- Mix tomatoes, chopped onion, sugar, salt and pepper together.
- Grease a casserole dish.
- Put in layers starting with cubed toast, then a layer of the tomato mixture, the toast, and then the tomato mixture.
- Top with the 1 slice of toast.
- Pour melted butter over the slice of toast.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.