Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
An excellent sidedish complimenting all meat,fish, or poultry.Very easy to prepare as well.The addition of mozzerella cheese throughout the layers creates a pizza-like sidedish,some of My vegetarian friends have told Me.Sodium restricted diets can be adhered to, with the use of salt-saltines,and low sodium tomatoes.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 1⁄4 cups coarsely crushed saltines
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (to be divided by pinch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (to be divided by pinch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to be divided by pinch)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Generously grease a 1 1/2 casserole dish with some of the butter.
- Distribute 3/4 cups crushed saltines on bottom of casserole dish.
- Evenly distribute 1 heaping cup of stewed tomatoes,including liquid,on top of the saltines Sprinkle a pinch of each, basil,oregano, and black pepper on top of the tomatoes Cover with another 3/4 cup crushed saltines dot with butter.
- Repeat layering until 3 layers are made.
- Cover and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Or microwave for 10 minutes high heat.
Too many crackers. Not enough juice in the canned stewed tomatoes to "mold" this together. Will not be making this again. :-(