Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Nice side dish. I use sliced canned tomatoes and i add some chopped green pepper to the celery and onions.
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 slices bread, toasted
- 3 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Cook celery and onion in butter till tender; blend in flour.
- Cut toast into 1/2 inch cubes.
- in 1 2/2 qt.
- casserole combine celery-onion mixture with tomatoes and half the toast cubes, sugar and seasonings.
- Bake in 350 oven for 30 min.
- Top with remaning toast cubes and bake 15 min.
This another pick your chef review. My DH liked this dish and I ask him to review.I scaled it down to 3 servings,and he ate 2 servings. I will be making it for him again. Thank you for sharing :0)
A very nice side dish ! I really liked this ! It was simple to make and tasted great ! I liked the addition of the mustard . Very Nice !
This was great! I simmered all the vegetables on the stove in olive oil instead of butter. Then added all the seasoning (minus the flour) including 1/2 t red pepper flakes. I poured this over the toast and baked. I added parmasan cheese to the top during the last 10 minutes in the oven. Great side dish!