A great side dish for Sunday pot roast, turkey and dressing, or any potluck. Came from a Southern Living Magazine many years ago...early '80s, I think. A Southern twist to Welsh Rarebit. So easy, I can cook it in my sleep.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute', approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add bread cubes and saute' until bread begins to toast.
- Add tomatoes and heat thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a greased 9X9 Pyrex (or larger), layer 1/2 the tomato mixture, 1/2 the sharp cheddar. Repeat.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or til cheese on top is bubbly.