Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
There are many variations to this recipe but I didn't find any like it -- it uses fresh tomatoes & balsamic vinegar. Found in EatingWell Newsletter. Tweaked it slightly by adding sliced onion. This recipe is equal to 1 carb.
- 8 medium ripe tomatoes, cored and thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 purple onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray.
- Arrange tomato slices & onion slices, slightly overlapping, in prepared dish.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and sprinkle with vinegar.
- Combine breadcrumbs, garlic, thyme, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over tomatoes and drizzle with oil.
- Bake tomatoes for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and the breadcrumbs are crisp and golden.
- Serve hot.
Update 8/09 -- LOVE your new AM page, Di !! Very NOW ! Had way too many big slicer tomatoes -- so sweet and juicy ! Only had 1/2 red onion, so sprinkled chopped shallots over the dish -- just 2 lovely tomatoes for DH and me. Served with left-over pork tenderloin and roasted red baby potatoes. Don't understand why no one else has discovered this yummy recipe ! Thanks, Di ! 8/08 Only 2 plants each, Romas and slicers, but TOMATOES, TOMATOES, EVERYwhere !! Prepared 1/2 of this recipe for DH and me, and although he is not fond of Balsamic (I am !) -- we enjoyed this with bison burgers. I made just 3 slices each tomato, since they were dead-ripe and SOOO juicy ! Thanks for posting, DiScharf.