Recipe by mammafishy
This is one of those comfort foods to me. I remember growing up and my mom making stewed tomatoes with bread in it. This is something that reminds me of her and I can eat this whole dish by myself, hot or cold. I have used canned tomatoes when fresh aren't available.
- 4 large diced up tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tomatoes in a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Cook onion and green peppers together in margarine until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cheese.
- Sprinkle bread mixture over tomatoes. (I like to have some of the bread sticking out on top, so it gets crunchy while baking and some down in the tomatoes.).
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 minutes more.