This is one of those comfort foods to me. I remember growing up and my mom making stewed tomatoes with bread in it. This is something that reminds me of her and I can eat this whole dish by myself, hot or cold. I have used canned tomatoes when fresh aren't available.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place tomatoes in a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- 2Cook onion and green peppers together in margarine until soft.
- 3Add remaining ingredients, except cheese.
- 4Sprinkle bread mixture over tomatoes. (I like to have some of the bread sticking out on top, so it gets crunchy while baking and some down in the tomatoes.).
- 5Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- 6Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scalloped Tomato and Cheese Bake
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.4
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 7.4 mg
- Sodium 631.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g