Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of the first dishes that I ever made. Not your traditional scalloped potatoes. This is an easy and tasty dish. My mom thought she hated sweet potatoes...it's been fun changing her mind.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes, large
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, brown
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, white
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an 8 cup baking dish mix ground beef, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper.
- Press into a thin layer.
- Peel potatoes, slice thinly and layer over meat mixture.
- Combine brown sugar and flour together.
- Mix pineapple juice, vinegar and soya sauce together.
- Stir the juice mixture into the brown sugar and flour.
- Pour over the potatoes and ground beef.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
This made a nice, very easy weeknight dinner. Really liked the sweet potatoes on top. Mine was sort of swimming in liquid and that may be because I used an 9x9 inch pan. Using a rectangular or oblong pan may be the thing to do. Thanks for sharing this unique recipe. I would make it again.
This was really good. I would have never thought of putting ground beef and sweet potatoes together. I had ground beef and sweet potatoes on hand, but no ideas for dinner. This recipe came up when I put in the ingredients. I did not have any green peppers so had to omit them. I also needed it to be gluten free so I used cornstarch instead of flour and wheat free soy sauce. Next time I will include the peppers. I bet peas would be a nice addition also. Thanks for a great recipe!
I made the recipe as directed using a 9x13 " baking dish. It was quite enjoyable . A very different, very tasty dish.