Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
A good side dish with pork roast, chops or ham.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, slices
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- Wash and cook sweet potatoes in boiling water until just tender.
- Peel and cut into crosswise slices, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Butter a 2 quart ovenproof casserole.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, mace, salt, (pecans- if using them) and set aside.
- Arrange half the sweet potato slices in the bottom of buttered casserole, then half the apple slices on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle half the brown sugar mixture over all.
- Dot with 2 Tablespoons of the butter.
- Repeat layers, ending with apples, sugar and butter.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for about 50 minutes.
We didn't eat sweet potatoes growing up because Mom didn't like them. However, once she found this recipe she started fixing them and makes them for Thanksgiving every year. Something different if you're tired of the same old sweet potatoes.